January 2012 – June 2012 Standing Committee and Board Meetings
January 12, 2012
- Nohr: Set three dates to resume local bargaining. / Carried.
- Loring-Kuhanga: State acknowledgement of territory before meetings. / Withdrawn, as practice has started.
- Loring-Kuhanga: Board write letter to Minister of Education to withdraw net zero and bargain in good faith. / Defeated.
- Loring-Kuhanga: Board to write Minister of Education with request to restore special needs funding as per court ruling on Bills 27/28/ / Referred to OPPS.
- McNally: Board provide FSA letter to parents re withdrawal of child from FSAs modelled on Vancouver School Board letter (This meeting went to 11:15 pm; moved to next Ed Policy meeting Feb 6. By then a month will have passed, and the effectiveness of the action will be much diminished.)
- McNally: Board minutes to record votes on motions: Moved to OPPS February 13. Alpha: Community consultation on Budget – meetings. / Carried.
- Horsman: Trustees accept no raise for 2011-12 : / Carried.
- Loring-Kuhanga: Establish a small working committee of 2 trustees, 1 executive, 1 teacher, 1 administrator, 1 parent, 1 CUPE to review all policies and regulations and report revisions to OPPS monthly. / Moved to Operations Planning and Policy (OPPS) Feb 13. (Finally showed up on the May 14 OPPS agenda.)
February 2012: Board meeting
- McNally: Record votes on all motions. / Carried unanimously, after 5-4 defeat (Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McEvoy, Orcherton; For: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr, McNally) at previous OPPS meeting February 13, 2012, at which meeting a letter from Parliamentarian Eli Mina was presented by those who voted against the motion supporting the position that recording votes is a bad idea. Thanks Lindsay Kines and the Times-Colonist for publicizing the issue.
- Rename Marine Biology 11 to Marine Biology 12. / Carried unanimously.
- Move final budget meeting to April 18. / Carried 7-2.
- Board develop committee to develop policy on building school culture with a set of guiding principles for schools. / Carried unanimously.
- Adopt revised Policy on Department Heads. / Tabled.
- Delete Pearkes Clinic Funding Policy. / Carried unanimously
- Adopt revised Policy 2105 District Leadership Team. / Carried 8-1 (Against: Loring-Kuhanga)
- Adopt revised Policy 2115 Associate Superintendent. / Carried 7-2 (Against: Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr)
- Board write a letter to Saanich re transportation for students during Craigflower Bridge construction. / Carried unanimously.
- Poll vote (email) from January 23: Refer FSA letter motion to Ed Policy. / Carried.
- Apply projected surplus $8,639,000 to 12-13 budget shortfall. / Carried. Against: Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr Abstain: McNally
- Apply $350,000 projected surplus to Class Size and Composition. / Table to Board meeting (should be “refer”): Carried 6-3
- All 3 readings of the Budget Bylaw at this meeting. / (Has to be unanimous ): Defeated 6-3 Against: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr (Therefore did 2 readings, which were carried. The 3d reading will be poll vote (email).
- Nohr: Ask Ministry for playground expenditures reimbursement for PACs timeline extension. / Carried unanimously.
- McNally: Board write Minister re fairly negotiated settlement. / Carried unanimously.
- Nohr: Restore learning conditions Bills 27/28. / Referred to OPPS (by the Chair – no vote, regardless of a vote being required by Robert’s.)
- McNally: Budget Advisory (Ad Hoc) Committee Chair immediately restructure Budget Advisory Committee (presently Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Orcherton) to include all trustees ex officio, and members of public and partner groups who wish to attend. / Referred to OPPS by Chair; no vote on referral, even though Robert’s Rules requires a referral to carry by majority vote .
- Nohr: Schedule budget working meetings with Superintendent and Secretary-Treasurer and any interested trustees to develop 2012-13 budget taking into account input from partner groups, parents. / Referred to OPPS by Chair, no motion by anyone, no vote even though required by Robert’s Rules..
March 2012 Board Meeting
- Approve new Victoria High School facility multi-sport. / Carried unanimously
- Motions regarding the Craigflower Bridge. / Carried.
- Board write Minister of Education asking for double the amount in the Learning Improvement Fund for 1st, 2nd, and 3d years. / Carried 7-2 Against: Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr
- Nohr: Repeal Bill 22, have independent mediator. / Tabled: 7-2 Against tabling: Ferris, McNally
April 2012 Board meeting
- Board adopt revised Policy 6141.1, Board Authority Authorized courses./ Carried unanimously.
- That the following Professional Development dates for the 2012-2013 School Year be approved: 1. Monday September 17, 2012 2. Friday, October 19, 2012 (Province Wide) 3. Friday, November 23, 2012 4. Friday, February 15, 2013 5. Friday, May 17, 2013 6. To Be Chosen By Each School and further, the VPVPA, Exempt Staff, ASA, CUPE 947, CUPE 382 and VCPAC agreed that the dates for the Two-Week Spring Break be approved as March 11th to March 22nd, 2013. / Carried unanimously.
- Secretary-Treasurer’s Report: Recommended motion: Board apply the $349,541 projected surplus to class size and composition. / Carried unanimously.
- 2012/2013 Annual Budget Bylaw: Upon completion of the budget deliberations, in order to pass the Annual Budget Bylaw at one reading, the Board must unanimously agree to give the Bylaw all three readings at one sitting. It is therefore recommended: That the 2012/2013 Annual Budget Bylaw be given all three readings at the Board meeting on April 16, 2012. (Motion to be carried unanimously). Read 2nd time: 5-4 Against: Alpha , Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr (Budget motion: Board 2012 / 2013 Annual Budget Bylaw in the amount of $194,366,227 be: Read a first time the 16 day of April, 2012; Read a second time time the 16 day of April, 2012. / Carried. The remainder of the motion came into effect when the third vote carried in an email poll vote: And that the Secretary-Treasurer be directed to place the 2012-2013 annual budget in the format prescribed by the Ministry of Education and to submit all forms required. )
- McNally: Board submit only a needs budget reflecting remedies for the ongoing structural deficit, and reflecting costs for restoration of all service levels to the levels of service that existed in 2001./ Defeated. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McEvoy, Orcherton For: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga,, McNally, Nohr
- Nohr:Board write a letter to the Minister of Education calling on the Government to repeal Bill 22, and instead, have an independent mediator appointed through the Labour Relations Board. / Defeated. For: Nohr, McNally, Loring-Kuhanga, Alpha. Against: Ferris, Leonard, Horsman, McEvoy, Orcherton.
May 2012 Standing Committees and Board
Ed Policy May 7, 2012
- Delete Policy and Regulation 2120.022, Regulation 2120.019, Policy 2123.010, Regulation 2123.020, Policy and Regulation 2201, Policy and Regulation 2221.1. / Carried unanimously.
- Revision to Policy 2120.030, to become “District Principal of Learning Initiatives”: Referred back to senior administration for further study.
OPPS May 14, 2012
- Needs Budget, “recommended motion” from the budget committee (including Trustees Alpha, Horsman and and Orcherton). / Carried unanimously.
- Three readings of the Capital Bylaw in order to access provincial funds for maintenance and repairs discussed as notice of motion for next Board meeting, from Debra Laser, Associate Secretary-Treasurer.
- Associate Superintendent Pat Duncan, as part of ongoing senior administration “policy housekeeping” effort moved to delete reference to Executive Council, which hasn’t existed for decades, in Bylaw 9221 Board Administration Relationships. / Carried unanimously.
- Delete Policy 2123.042 Supervisor of Accounting (last review of policy in 1982), and 2123.043 Supervisor of Personnel/Payroll (1980). / Carried unanimously as the positions no longer exist.
- Loring-Kuhanga: Establish a working committee to review policies and regulations that are seen to be contentious in discussion, and to report back to OPPS. / Defeated.
- Loring-Kuhanga: Provide two opportunities on every Board meeting agenda for public questions. / Defeated. For: Alpha, McNally, Nohr, Loring-Kuhanga. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton. (McEvoy absent)
- Loring-Kuhanga: Board Chair and Vice-Chair change annually. / Ruled out of order by Chair Leonard. Came to a vote anyway after discussion. Defeated. For: Alpha, McNally, Nohr, Loring-Kuhanga. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton.
- Nohr: Board write a letter to the Minister of Education requesting restoration of special needs funding as per the BC Supreme Court ruling on Bills 27 and 28. / Alpha: motion to table to next Board meeting. Motion to Table (should be “refer”) carried. (According to Robert’s Rules, the subsidiary motion to lay on the table refers to temporarily setting aside a pending motion (or a series of pending motions) to take care of something else deemed urgent. The motion to lay on the table is less about the business being discussed than about the assembly needing to handle something else immediately. )
May 22, 2012 Board Meeting
- Delete nine obsolete polices and regulations. / Carried unanimously.
- Submission of a needs budget (in addition to a compliance budget, which was previously approved). / Referred to June OPPS for further discussion.
- Three readings of a motion to delete an obsolete sentence in Bylaw 9221. / Carried unanimously.
- Two policies deleted since positions no longer exist. / Carried unanimously.
- Expenditure of capital portion of Annual Facility Grant Allocation of $2,840,628. / Carried unanimously.
- Write a letter to the Minister of Education requesting restoration of funding for students with special needs, referring to the effects of Bills 27 and 28 and the BC Supreme court decision on those Bills. / Tabled (should be “referred”) to next OPPS meeting June 11.
- A report of the poll vote (email) which constituted the third reading of the budget bylaw was presented. The budget carried. For: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McEvoy, Orcherton; Against: Alpha, Nohr; Abstained: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally.
- Nohr: Write a letter to the Minister of Education requesting appointment of a new mediator for teacher negotiations. / Defeated. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton For: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr (Alpha recused; McEvoy absent.)
- Nohr: Write a letter of appreciation for partner groups that participated in budget input. / Withdrawn (Chair said the letter had already been written by the Chair, and sent out in email to trustees. )
- Nohr: Write Cowichan in support re engage Minster of Education to restore funding. / Defeated. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton For: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr (Absent: McEvoy)
- McNally: Set up a District web page for all public letters written by the Chair. / Carried unanimously.
June 2012 Standing Committees and Board
Ed Policy June 4, 2012
- Board approve the 2012-2013 Achievement Contract. / Carried. For: Ferris, Leonard, McEvoy, Orcherton Against: Alpha (McNally absent, at Esquimalt Graduation giving grad speech )
- McNally Notice of Motion for board June 18: Board of Education School District 61 write to the Minister of Education asking him not to cut funding to any adult upgrading courses.
OPPS June 11, 2012
- Board approve the submission of the Needs Budget letter and costing to the Minister of Education with the addition of Note 3: “The budget costing reflects the input received from the consultative partner groups, school planning councils and the public”. / Carried unanimously.
- Board approve the 2012/2013 Board of Education and Standing Committee meeting dates. / Carried. For: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McNally, Nohr, Orcherton Against: Loring-Kuhanga (Absent: Alpha, McEvoy)
- Board write a letter to the Ministry of Education asking that School Districts in British Columbia be exempted Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) because of implications on the Board‟s ability to hire local tradespeople and purchase local goods and services. Board will copy BCSTA, Public School Boards and Members of parliament. / Carried unanimously.
- Chair Leonard read McNally‟s motion: Board maintain all elementary schools (with the current exception of George Jay, a site which has already been wireless-enabled) as Wifi free zones, with only hard wired connection provided. Chair Leonard said the motion regarding WiFi should be directed to the WiFi Committee. No vote; the motion was dismissed by Chair Leonard.
Board Meeting June 18, 2012
- Approve 12-13 Achievement Contract. / Carried For: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McNally, McEvoy, Loring-Kuhanga, Orcherton Against: Alpha, Nohr
- Approve the submission of the Needs Budget letter and costing to the Minister of Education with the addition of Note 3: “The budget costing reflects the input received from the consultative process with our educational partner groups, school planning councils and the public”. / Carried. For: Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, McEvoy, McNally, Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr, Orcherton Against: Leonard
- Approve Board / Standing Committee dates for coming year. / Carried unanimously.
- Request Prime Minister Harper change terms of the draft Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) from any restrictions that will not protect the autonomy of SD61. Further, that all SDs in BC be exempted. To be sent to federal and provincial government Ministers responsible for the CETA negotiations, BCSTA, other relevant bodies. / Carried unanimously.
- Put Specialty / Sports Academies fees approved by School Planning Councils on SD61 website: / Carried: For: Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McEvoy, Nohr, Orcherton Against: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally
- Nohr: Put Needs budget letter to Minister on SD61 website advocacy page. / Carried unanimously.
- Nohr: Generate a Class Size and Composition report for classes over 30 for October Board meeting. / Defeated. Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton For: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr. (Absent: McEvoy; left meeting at 10:15.)
- Horsman: Generate a report of class sizes over thirty for October, 2012 Board Meeting. / Defeated. For : Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton Against: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr (Amendments to a defeated motion ensued….)
- Generate a Class Size and Composition Report for Trustees to review at an In-Camera meeting after October 30th 2012. / Defeated. For: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton Against: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr
- Leonard: Adjourn at 11:00 p.m. / Carried: For: Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Orcherton Against: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr
- Nohr: Send to Parent Advisory Councils full SD61 current seismic report with list of school designations on a seismic danger scale. / Withdrawn.
- McNally: Board write Minister of Education Abbott asking him not to cut any funding to any graduated learner courses, and that the Minister fully fund these courses without a holdback component. / Carried. For: Alpha, Horsman, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr, Orcherton Abstain : Leonard
- McNally : WiFi Committee present its recommendation to Board on Monday October 15. / Motion to table. (“Many people think tabling a motion is tantamount to killing it, but the motion to Lay on the Table is used to set a pending motion aside temporarily in order to take up something else more pressing or urgent. If you want to kill a main motion, you move to Postpone Indefinitely.”) Motion to table carried. For tabling : Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Nohr, Orcherton Against: Loring-Kuhanga, McNally. So this motion was not dealt with.