September 2014 Standing Committees and Board Meeting
September 8, 2014: Combined Ed Policy and OPPs
- Loring-Kuhanga : Add the following motion to the agenda: That the Board of Education of School District No. 61 (Greater Victoria) request the BCPSEA to remove E80 from the Framework Agreement between BCPSEA and the BCTF that is dated on June 15, 2014. / • Leonard: Ruled out of order. One motion has gone forward from the In Camera meeting and will be reported on at D along with an Advocacy letter. [Not a reason to rule this motion out of order.]
- B. 1. Bylaw 9360 and Bylaw 9360.2 [Proposed Bylaw change for Chair to be able to cancel meetings in consultation with Standing Committee Chairs if strike continues] / Defeated. / For: Horsman Against: Alpha, Ferris, Leonard, Loring-Kuhanga, McEvoy, McNally, Nohr, Orcherton
- D.1. Motion carried in camera, and reported out: That the Board publicly call on BCPSEA to accept arbitration with no preconditions from either party, and no costs downloaded to Boards.
September 15, 2014: Audited Financial Statements
- D.2 a) Audited Financial Statements 2013-2014 accepted. / Carried. Unanimous. [Details in Lined Paper post.]
October 2014 Standing Committees And Board
October 2014: Ed Policy
- E. Orcherton: That the Board encourage the Education Partners’ Council to reconvene for the purpose of rebuilding relationships with educational stake holders, collaborative advocacy for our students and supporting Public Education. / Motion to table this motion. / Carried. For: Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Nohr, Orcherton Against: McNally [I wanted to see the motion go to a vote.Also, incorrect use of “table”, as is usual in SD61 Board meetings.]
October 14, 2014: OPPS
- A. Policy 4144.1 Workers Compensation: Director Human Resources: After questions from Trustees and the public, and discussion: / Carried. Unanimous.
- C. Bylaw 9360 General Meeting of the Board : [From the Report on Public Engagement] Leonard: Agreed that the remaining documents, D. Question Period and E. Recording Board meetings will go on next OPPS meeting agenda? / Carried. Unanimous.
- 7.A. McNally: That the Board amend Bylaw 9360.2 Meetings of the standing Committees by adding to the Operations Policy and Planning Committee agenda outlined at B., after “Board Room, Administration Offices – Tolmie Building” the following statement ” Standing Committees welcome questions and comments from the public throughout the meetings. Please raise your hand for recognition from the Chair” and that this statement be included in the same place on all Education Policy Development Committee agendas. Leonard: That can be taken as direction to staff. / Approved unanimously. [Robert’s Rules don’t have any reference to “taken as direction” though the SD61 Board is fond of it. A vote would be a better course of action.]
- 7 B. Nohr: That the Board send an email to all employee groups with a reminder that the district email may not be used at any time during the current civic election (Sept 30-Nov 15) for political purposes including recommending or endorsing specific candidates. / Withdrawn [Information is already in effect.]
October 20, 2014:Board Meeting
- C.2 b) Recommended motion: That the Board approve the revised Policy 4144.1 Workers Compensation . / Referred to November OPPS for further discussion because of possible potential override of GVTA Collective Agreement. Concerns voiced by GVTA representative at the table.
- F. 1McNally:That the Board of Education immediately convene and advertise publicly an ad hoc committee with three tables a) to meet at minimum monthly (more, or less, often by agreement of attendees) until the final budget vote to examine the current budget and any financial information as needed, including the line item budget, in order to propose this year’s one time only savings to address the budget’s $8.5 million structural deficit b) one table to be composed of any interested SD61 community members including VCPAC and any interested trustees; one table to be composed of interested SD61 employee groups and any interested trustees; one table to consist of interested members of the SD61 PVPA and any interested trustees ; tables to meet on the same evening, same venue; format of evening as open question period or other format to be decided by the tables c) the Secretary-Treasurer or designate and Superintendent to be present at the meetings d) to report to the Board monthly, method and meeting to be determined by the committee members at each table, e) and that the meetings be held at 6:30 pm in school libraries.
- Motion to refer to January, February or March OPPS – when there is room for it. [This timing will make the motion moot for this year.] / Carried. For: Alpha, Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, McEvoy, McNally, Nohr, Orcherton Against: Loring-Kuhanga
November 2014 Standing Committees and Board
November 3, 2014 Ed Policy
- Nohr: That the Board of Education of School District No. 61 (Greater Victoria) develop through a review process at the Education Policy and Operations, Policy and Planning meetings a District Code of Conduct which would be relevant and appropriate for students, parents/guardians, community members, staff, and district employees who attend our schools; the engagement process with partner groups to be determined at a later date. / Horsman: Motion to table [incorrect use of “table” but at least this Board is consistent in that: Defeated / Main motion:
Defeated. For: Alpha, Loring-Kuhanga, Nohr Against: Orcherton, Horsman, McEvoy
November 10, 2014: OPPS
- 6.A.Bylaw 9360.01 Question Period During General Meetings of the Board / This Bylaw change will go forward to the Board with additional changes resulting from this meeting’s debate.
- B. Digital Recording of Board Meetings / Will go forward to Board.
- C. Bylaw 9360 General Meeting of the Board : Three readings of the new Bylaws with voted on and agreed upon changes from this meeting’s debate will go forward to the Board meeting on November 17.
November 17, 2014 Board Meeting
- A.5.a) Acknowledgement and Appreciation of Departing Trustees (Superintendent) : Catherine Alpha (6 years; did not run in 2014) / Michael McEvoy (12 years; did not run in 2014) /Bev Horsman (28 years)
- C.2 b) Leonard: A year of discussion in OPPS meetings went into development of this document. Bylaw 9360 is on pages 17-18 of the agenda packup. Motion: Agree to all three readings of new Bylaw at this meeting. / Carried. Unanimous.
- Revised Bylaw 9360 General Meeting of the Board be read three times. / Carried [Bylaw carries] . Unanimous.
- Agree to all three readings of the Bylaw at this meeting. / Carried. Unanimous.
- Bylaw 9360.1 Question Period During General Meetings of the Board be read three times. / Carried. Unanimous. Video Board meetings (except for student portion). / Carried. / Unanimous.
- D.2 a) McNally: Motion from the floor: That the Board turn down this increase in [Trustee] salary. / Defeated.For: Alpha, McNally, Nohr Against: Ferris, Horsman, Leonard, Loring-Kuhanga, McEvoy, Orcherton
- F.2 Notice of Motion: Nohr: Notice of motion for OPPS, January 12/15: That the Board request that the Superintendent and Secretary Treasurer provide three scenarios that allow payment of the 8th day of work for teachers, in the amount of $400,000 salary and benefits.
December 2014 Standing Committees and Board
December 10, 2014
- 4. Trustee Election Report: Katrina Ball
|Whiteaker, Ann||20, 252|
|Nohr, Deborah (75)
|Orcherton, Peg (169) / (94)
|McNally, Diane (195) / (120) / (26)
|Paynter, Rob (1,326)
|Leonard, Elaine (2,397)
|Loring-Kuhanga, Edith (2,863)||17, 389|
|Ferris, Tom (3,312)
|Watters, Jordan (3,594)
|Horsman, Bev||16, 351|
|Duncan, Nicole||14, 247|
|Rizzuti, John||12, 458|
|MacIntosh, Ruth||12, 222|
14. [A first for SD61, a business motion at the inaugural meeting] Moved Watters:That the Board direct the Chair to write a letter to the Minister of Finance, copying the Minister of Education, requesting that the Minister of Finance heed the recommendations from the First Report of the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services and increase the funding to K-12 education in the 2015 Budget. / Carried. For: Ferris, Loring-Kuhanga, McNally, Nohr, Paynter, Watters Against: Leonard, Orcherton, Whiteaker