Side trip: Information from the VCPAC Constitution: [Basic language is from from the BC School Act ]
- Unit of membership is a school Parents’ Advisory Council, not individual representative.
- All PACs within SD61 [45 schools] are voting members [individual parents are not voting members] unless they have waived membership in writing. Each PAC will have one vote.
- General Meetings monthly from September-May except December, unless otherwise determined by membership [1 vote per PAC].
- Quorum for General Meetings is 1/3 current membership [1/3 of the number of school-based PACs, each having one vote representing that school’s parents = if all school PACS are members [are they?] , 45/3 = approximately 15 votes can represent all parents with students in SD61 schools]. Voting privileges are limited to one vote per PAC. An individual may be a delegate for more than one PAC and therefore carry more than one vote. Each PAC will elect a delegate to be their representative at VCPAC. If a dispute arises as to the status of a delegate, the VCPAC Executive may investigate the matter and make a determination.
- Additional General Meetings may be called at the discretion of the Executive. An Additional Meeting will be called by the Executive within seven days of receiving a request by petition representing ten percent (10%) of the membership [membership is PACs, not individuals, so = about 5 schools].
- All decisions relating to official VCPAC positions on educational issues must be approved by Special Resolution.
- Voting by show of hands with exception of election of Executive members done by secret ballot. No proxy votes.
- A Special Resolution is resolution passed in general meeting by a majority of not less than 75% of the votes of those delegates representing members [a member is one PAC, not individual parents] of VCPAC who, being entitled to do so, vote in person, or a resolution consented to in writing by every member [the one delegate per school] of VCPAC who would have been entitled to vote on it in person at a general meeting. [75% of quorum = 75% of 15 votes = 11 votes]
- Executive meetings held at discretion of Executive, minimally 5 annually. Quorum is majority of Executive members [possible 12 elected officers of VCPAC, so 7 votes]. Subsequent to the election of the 9 permanent Executive members, the membership may add up to an additional 3 temporary Executive positions only from those individuals nominated prior to the election of the permanent directors. To be successful a candidate will require majority vote from the membership [a member is one representative of a school PAC, not individual parents] present at the meeting. No Executive positions will be filled by acclamation. Executive members of VCPAC: Chair, Vice-Chair, SecretaryTreasurer, 5 Directors, up to 3 additional Directors, if approved at an AGM. The Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer only may not hold the same position for more than 4 consecutive terms. The Executive will process its decisions by making recommendations by notice of motion to the General Meeting for approval with the exception of time sensitive issues. [With Executive quorum being 7 votes, a majority of that quorum = 4 votes. It’s possible 4 votes could be seen to represent the voice of all parents of the nearly 20,000 students in SD61, on “time sensitive issues”.]
- Minutes of meetings unreachable: http://www.vcpac.ca/vcpac-documents/Minutes-Reports/ : ” Internal Server Error: The server encoutered an Internal Server Error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, email@example.com, and inform them of the time the error occurred. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.”