Information from the VCPAC Constitution (much of any District Parent Advisory Council Constitution content is set as requirement in the School Act ):
School Act, British Columbia: District parents’ advisory council
8.4 (1) A parents’ advisory council, through its elected officers, may apply to the board for the establishment of a district parents’ advisory council.(2) On receipt of an application under subsection (1), the board must establish a district parents’ advisory council for the school district consisting of representatives elected to the council under subsection (3).(3) Each parents’ advisory council in a school district may elect annually one of its members to be its representative on the district parents’ advisory council for a term of not more than one year. (4) There must be only one district parents’ advisory council for each school district.
Purpose and operation of district parents’ advisory council
8.5(1) Subject to section 67 (5.1), the district parents’ advisory council may advise the board on any matter relating to education in the school district. 2) A district parents’ advisory council must make bylaws governing its meetings and the business and conduct of its affairs, including bylaws governing the dissolution of the council. (3) A superintendent of schools for the school district, a designate of the superintendent or a trustee of the school district may attend any meeting of the district parents’ advisory council.
Part 6 — Boards of Education Division 1 — Corporate Status and Meetings: Meetings and chair : 67 (5) A board must establish procedures governing the conduct of its meetings and must permit any person to inspect those procedures. (5.1) Without limiting subsection (5), a board may establish procedures respecting the provision of advice by a district parents’ advisory council to the board.
” ARTICLE VIII. CONSTITUTIONAL and BYLAW AMENDMENTS
1.The Constitution and Bylaws of VCPAC may be amended only by a Special Resolution passed by at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the members present at any General Meeting,given that Notice of the proposed amendments has been provided to the membership at least twenty eight (28) days prior to the meeting at which they are to be considered.”
• Unit of membership for voting purposes is a school Parents’ Advisory Council, (which sends an individual representative), not the individual representative, or individual parents who show up at the meeting .
• All PACs within SD61 [44 schools (this number seems variable) so possible 44 PACS] are voting members unless they have waived membership in writing. Each PAC will have one vote.
• General Meetings monthly from September-May except December, unless otherwise determined by membership [1 vote per PAC].
• Quorum for General Meetings is 1/3 current membership [1/3 of the number of school-based PACs that have not opted out, each having one vote representing that school’s parents = approximately 15 votes representing all parents of the approximately 19,000 students in SD61 schools. ]. An individual may be a delegate for more than one PAC [more than one school] and therefore carry more than one vote. Each PAC will elect a delegate to be their representative at VCPAC. If a dispute arises as to the status of a delegate, the VCPAC Executive may investigate the matter and make a determination.
• Additional General Meetings may be called at the discretion of the Executive. An Additional Meeting will be called by the Executive within seven days of receiving a request by petition representing ten percent (10%) of the membership (10% of member PACs).
• All decisions relating to official VCPAC positions on educational issues must be approved by Special Resolution. Voting by show of hands (of single delegates from PACs) with exception of election of Executive members done by secret ballot. No proxy votes. A Special Resolution is resolution passed in general meeting by a majority of not less than 75% of the votes of those delegates representing members [a member is one PAC, not an individual parent] of VCPAC who, being entitled to do so, vote in person, or a resolution consented to in writing by every member [the one delegate per school] of VCPAC who would have been entitled to vote on it in person at a general meeting. [75% of quorum = 75% of 15 votes = 11 votes can represent parents of 20,000 students in SD61.]
• Executive meetings held at discretion of Executive, minimally 5 annually. Quorum is majority of Executive members ( possible 12 elected officers of VCPAC, so quorum could be 5, or 7.). Subsequent to the election of the 9 permanent Executive members, the membership may add up to an additional 3 temporary Executive positions only from those individuals nominated prior to the election of the permanent directors. To be successful a candidate will require majority vote from the membership [a member is one representative of a school PAC, not individual parents] present at the meeting. No Executive positions will be filled by acclamation. Executive members of VCPAC: Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary-Treasurer, 5 Directors, up to 3 additional Directors, if approved at an AGM. The Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer only may not hold the same position for more than 4 consecutive terms. The Executive will process its decisions by making recommendations by notice of motion to the General Meeting for approval with the exception of time sensitive issues.
• [With Executive quorum being possibly 5, a majority of that quorum = 3 votes. It’s possible 3 votes could be seen to represent the voice of all parents of the 20,000 students in SD61, on “time sensitive issues”.]
4 uploads of “general minutes” from the 2014-15 school year are here: http://www.vcpac.ca/component/jdownloads/category/161-2014-2015?Itemid=45
SD61 DPAC Executive for 2015 / 2016: Effective June 1/15:
President – Audrey Smith
Vice-President – John Bird
Secretary – Wendy Joyce
Treasurer – Brena Robinson
1. Director – Swati Scott (new)
2. Director – Norm Tandberg
3. Director – Ted Godwin (new)
4. Director – Kami Bourgeois
5. Director – Vincenza Gruppuso
President: John Bird (President for 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, [09-10 no AGM documents on VCPAC site; 2010-11 no meeting documents at all on site] , 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 14-15) Liaison to: Colquitz, HLL/SJ Willis, Sir James Douglas
Vice President / Vice Chair: Audrey Smith (President 2015-16) Liaison to: Glanford, Marigold, McKenzie, Northridge, Rogers, Spectrum, Strawberry Vale
Secretary: (Treasurer 2015-16) Liaison to: Craigflower, George Jay, Rockheights, Tillicum, Victoria West
Treasurer: Wendy Joyce Liaison to: Gordon Head, Hillcrest, Lambrick Park, Mount Douglas, Torquay
1. Director: Kami Bourgeois (Back for 2015-16) Liaison to: Arbutus, Campus View, Cedar Hill, Doncaster, Lakehill, Reynolds
2. Director: Tiffany Carlyle Liaison to: Braefoot, Cloverdale, James Bay, Margaret Jenkins, South Park, Victor
3. Director: Vincenza Gruppuso (Back for 1 2015-16) Liaison to: Frank Hobbs
4. Director: Norm Tandberg (Back for 2015-`6) Liaison to: Central, Eagle View, Esquimalt, Macaulay, Shoreline, Victoria High, View Royal
5. Director: Kyla Ward Liaison to: Lansdowne, Monterey, Oak Bay, Oaklands, Quadra, Willows