New Executive after Spring 2016 AGM here.
BCCPAC President John Bird, former Victoria DPAC President.
Former SD61 Superintendent John Gaiptman hired to newly created BCCPAC position “Executive Director”, June 21/16.
- BCCPAC’s existence is not mandated as part of the BC School Act, though a 1998 Resolution attempting to change that is active.
- BCCPAC website states “We represent a membership of the Parent Advisory Councils(PAC), and District Parent Advisory Councils (DPAC) of the BC school districts.” [Each PAC has one DPAC voting rep, and sadly enough, parent participation in most PACs at a schools is a tiny percentage of the parents in that school.]
- Interesting background reading: January 2012 letter from former BCCPAC President Ann Whiteaker (now SD61 Greater Victoria Trustee) to the Victoria Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils here.
- More correspondence on the page here.
- On September 8, 1915, the first official parent organization was launched at the oldest school in the province, Craigflower, then on the outskirts of Victoria.
- BCCPAC members approved changes to the Bylaws at the May 2015 AGM.
- Members are both DPACS and individual school PACS.[Each PAC has one voting rep.]
- 2016 Resolutions here. You will need to check which ones carried at the AGM, if you can find the AGM minutes.
- There are 200+ Resolutions ongoing, achieved or pending. Worth a look. Chose “any” to see all of them, though you can narrow down by category in the dropdown menu. Here’s an interesting one from 1994 still on the books:
“That students have the opportunity to be taught the most commonly held theories on the origins of our universe and life on our planet, or at least be given a list of resources to explore these on their own; And that students be encouraged to discuss the pros and cons of these theories without being criticized for their opinions, in order to promote critical thinking skills; And that students be taught evolution as theory, not fact. ” Status: Active.