Jan 9/2017: Education Policy&Directions: The Record Off The Record : Learning Support Plan (Mental Health Focus)

P2

Point of Order: How It Works: The Chair has a duty to make sure the rules of the assembly are followed, not the “rules of the Chair” or “Board Traditions” (p 90, Robert’s Rules in Brief”). A “Point of Order” calls attention to the fact that a rule is being broken. Grounds for a Point of Order: If a member of the assembly (an elected individual, in this case a Trustee) notes a breach of a  Bylaw,  anyone’s defiance of normal standards of decorum in a meeting, the Chair allowing a motion that is out of order (need to have a good reason for that call)  speak up and call “Point of Order” (p 251 Robert’s). The Chair then states “Point well taken” or Point not well taken”. If the Chair does not allow the Point of Order, the Chair must state the reason, based in RRO, SD61 Bylaw, or SD61 Policy. The Chair’s opinion is not enough. If the Chair is not able to explain a valid reason,  RRO requires the Chair to  consult with the meeting parliamentarian (p 254) or call a recess while the Chair reads RRO 11th Edition and/or Bylaws to find a reason.

Recent Change to Standing Committee vote:  October 17/16, Whiteaker: That the Board amend Bylaw 9130 Standing Committees to remove the words “with voting rights” from Item #4 and Item #5. / Carried. Unanimous.  this had the effect of allowing only members of the Sanding Committee to vote on motions, though other Trustees, if they attend,  can participate in  the debate. The Chair of the Board is  an ex officio member of both Committees, with voting rights. A quorum is a majority of trustee members on the committee.

Education Policy and Directions Jan 9/17
Chair: Whiteaker
Members: Ferris, Nohr, Orcherton , Whiteaker, Loring-Kuhanga ex officio (vote but not counted for quorum)
Present: Ferris, McNally, Nohr, Orcherton,  Watters, Whiteaker
Absent: Leonard, Loring-Kuhanga; regrets Superintendent Langstraat (illness)

Territory Acknowledgement900

1. Approval [Adoption] of Agenda:  Adopted.
2. Approval of Ed Policy & Directions Minutes Dec 5/16. Approved. Lined Paper report here.
3. Business arising From the Minutes:None
4. Presentations to the Committee: None (Anyone’s opportunity to address the Committee for up to 5 minutes; discussion encouraged.]
5. New Business
A. Student Representative:
Eilidh Morrison (Reynolds Secondary ) , who has been a rep previously, sent regrets – illness.
B. Learning Support Plan, Learning Support Annual Report (Pp 7-12 agenda):
Introduced by Associate Superintendent Whitten; presented by Harold Caldwell, Director of Learning, Learning Support Team along with a 13 slide PowerPoint (here). Learning Support Plan was started in the 2015-16 school year.

 

 

4

 

  • McNally: Pullout programs seem to be in disfavour now I understand from some recent presentations. What’s the SD61 overall position?
  • Caldwell: Inclusive education doesn’t mean in the classroom 100% of the time.Strategies can involve Universal Design For Learning.

 

7

  • Caldwell: Not all staff knew what “suicidal ideation” or “self-medicating” is.

8

 

9

  • Caldwell: 27 Youth and Family Counsellors (YFC)  in SD61. Vulnerability index depends on postal code = socio-economic factors.But vulnerability exists all through the District.CommunityLINK group suggested establishing a District YFC; instituted this year.

11

  • Caldwell: Attachment is critical.Last year had Stephanie Curran present on mindfulness for educators, 8 week course. Elizabeth Childs studied the cohort and found they all wanted more of this.Thee was a fall session of 8 weeks and another in spring.At the end, 60 staff will have participated; hopefully will be capacity builders in their schools.
  • McNally: Would like some specifics on “high values”.
  • Associate Superintendent Whitten: Strength based, person first language.
  • Caldwell:  Middle Years Development Instrument: Grades 4 and 7; 80% participation in SD61. Will yield District data, providing school level data for each school.Support will be assigned as needed.Shelley Moore presented on inclusive education in the fall, will be here March and June. Physical Health and Education curriculum has a lot about mental health and anxiety. Engaging with Island Health to provide ASIST training. Stop Wondering, Start Knowing, Kelty Mental Health. Tri District Anxiety workshop for counsellors to get everyone using the same language (student movement among Districts). Anxiety Coping Tools; students identified by School Based Team.Clinical supervision in “family of schools”; prevent loss of work done as student transition from middle school to high school; opportunities for counsellor collaboration.Balancing Our Minds Youth Summit. One Without the Other (Shelley Moore), book club dialogue. POPARD Introduction to Social Skills workshop.
  • Ferris: When middle schools wer4 developed in 2000, had the idea that info sharing would be happening. Has it been hit or miss?
  • Caldwell: There has been sharing amongst District counsellors , and not just at transition times.

 

13

  • Orcherton: Looking forward to more supports in the schools. Diversity is a better word than “vulnerable”. Even “vulnerable” students have strengths. Reconsider the word even though it’s in the strategic plan [which Trustees worked on  for a very long time and approved by consensus at the end] .
  • McNally: The money coming from the BCTF win in the Supreme Court will mean about 1 teacher for each school, I understand.
  • Nohr: Consider counsellors for the 1st $50 million; have been affected over the years. Is “inclusive education” seen as something new? How does Victor School [a parent- and school based team choice, separate stand alone school with enrolment of about 18, for students with significant challenges / special needs; the Victor school website link now takes you here.] . Would teacher and EA collaborate to create goals?
  • Caldwell: Inclusive education doesn’t mean 100% of the time in the classroom.Victor school serves some students with health issues among the population; will exist but might be different from what it is now. We can do more to support inclusion in schools.
  • Associate Superintendent Whitten: Will always be a need for Victor School.To support inclusion, for example the McKenzie behaviour program has a dedicated EA to support student return to the classroom.
  • Whiteaker: Middle Years Development Instrument is very exciting. Parents need support too. PACS are bringing in speakers- what else do you have for parents?
  • Caldwell Holding an evening session for parents. If child gives permission, will get parents up to date on child’s concerns.
  • Nohr: You mean a parent won’t be informed automatically?
  • Whitten: High school level need student’s permission.If critical for student would need to share. Self-harm would be the threshold.
  • Ilda Turcotte (GVTA): Plans to hire more  OT’s, PTs, school psychologists?
  • Associate Superintendent Green Collecting information now.


C. Middle School Review Terms of Reference
(P 13 agenda): 12 years of Middle School in SD61: time for a review
a) Nohr: That the Middle School Review TOR be accepted. / Carried as amended by Watters below. Unanimous.

  • Nohr: Strongly recommend seeking more parent input than 1 VCPAC rep. Maybe a simple survey to 10 Middle School PACs and parents.
  • Watters: Strike “final” and just state “a report”. / Consensus.
  • McNally: Is anyone still on staff in SD61 from the original “Boulder Group” that went to Colorado to learn about Middle Schools there, and the Four Pillars of Excellence and configuration of the school day, pre-reconfiguration here in SD61? Good to have the history.
  • Futter (GVTA): Yes, I am, and others.

6. Notices of Motion:None
7. General Announcements : None
8. Adjournment:8:20 pm

 

About Diane McNally