P. 1 Operations Policy and Planning Meeting
2. DPAC Constitution (more interesting than it sounds)
Lined Paper is my personal record of and commentary on SD61 Board and Standing Committee meetings. Official, approved minutes are on the SD61 website, one month after the meeting. Motions may be shortened but retain essential info.
SD61 Greater Victoria School District includes students in Esquimalt, Oak Bay, Victoria, View Royal, parts of Saanich and the Highlands, and the Traditional Territories of the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations.
District Strategic Plan here.
Sticky post: Motions and Trustee Voting Records January 2012 – June 2017. Motions may be shortened but retain essential information.
October 17/16, Whiteaker: That the Board amend Bylaw 9130 Standing Committees to remove the words “with voting rights” from Item #4 and Item #5. / Carried. Unanimous. This had the effect of allowing only members of the Standing Committee to vote on motions, though other Trustees, if they attend, can participate in the debate. The Chair of the Board ex officio member both Committees, with voting rights. Quorum is a majority of Trustee members on the committee.
BOARD STANDING COMMITTEES 2017
(Board Chair Loring-Kuhanga member both, ex officio, has vote,not counted for quorum)
Operations Policy&Planning Chair Watters, McNally, Leonard, Paynter
Ed Policy&Development: Chair Whiteaker, Ferris, Nohr, Orcherton
Elected Trustees: Ferris (first elected 1999), Leonard (1996), Loring-Kuhanga (2011), McNally (2011), Nohr (2011),Orcherton (1999), Paynter (2014), Watters (2014), Whiteaker (2014)
Operations Policy&Planning Standing Committee
Members: McNally, Leonard, Paynter, Watters ; Loring-Kuhanga (ex officio (vote but not counted for quorum)
Present: Leonard, McNally, Orcherton, Nohr, Paynter, Watters
Not present:Ferris, Loring-Kuhanga, Whiteaker
Agenda here. Dialogue with the public is welcome during Standing Committee Meetings.
- McNally: “Recommended” needs to be removed from Watters’ motions on last agenda. Not recommended by any committee. [Had been removed.]
2. Approval of OPP minutes Nov 14/17: Approved; SD61 minutes here; Lined Paper record here.
3. Business Arising from the minutes: None
4. Presentations to the Committee: None
5. Superintendent’s Report:
A. Superintendent introduced Student Rep Daniel Davenport, Lambrick Secondary
B. Update on Child Care License Rate Discussions: (pp 8-9 agenda): “End State Rate – Cost Per Day” column really should be called “Cost of License Rate”. “New Rate” is License Rate as well.
6. Personnel Items A. Teacher Staffing Update: (p 10 agenda)
- Superintendent: Hiring is not a 1 time event; pressures will continue.
- Paynter: What is TTOC situation?
- Superintendent: 2 weeks ago list was not full, now full contingent. Ever moving list. Typical day can fill 220 absences (some caveats).
7. Finance and Legal Affairs:
A. Regulation 8230 Trustee Remuneration & Expenses (pp 11-24 agenda):
Recommended [by Secretary-Treasurer] motion: That the Board accept the revised Regulation 8230 for information. [Regulations are the purview of senior administration.] / Carried as amended. Unanimous.
- McNally: Amendment: Remove last 2 paragraphs p 12. Unlikely scenario and just confusing. / Carried
- Agreed by all that 3.1 Definition of Reasonable Expenses, 3.9 Meals & Gratuities, 3.9 Child Care Expenses, 4.1 dollar amounts [4.1 Leonard amendment – started discussion of other appendix-transferred items] will go into an appendix.
B. Policy Subcommittee Report: (pp 25-84 agenda): Recommended motions:
i. That the Board approve revised Policy 5118.2 Student Enrolment and Transfer and accept the attached Regulation. / Carried. Unanimous.
ii. That the board approve revised Policy 6114 Maintenance of Order and accept attached Regulation. / Carried. Unanimous.
iii. That the Board approve revised Policy 3110 Presentation of New Educational Programs and accept associated Regulation. / Carried. Unanimous.
- McNally: Are these programs District wide or only at specific schools? What is the vision? Probably equity of access issues.
- What is a “program”… a collection of courses leading to an educational outcomes, is the definition.
- McNally: Will support as it’s an improvement over the old version.
iv. That the Board accept Policy 1300 Acceptable Use of Digital Technology, Regulation 1300.2 Employee Acceptable Use of Digital Technology, Regulation 1300.3 Student Acceptable Use of Digital Technology and Regulation 1300.3 (a) Attachment [Expectations of Students Using Digital Technology Resources, pp 72-73 agenda] for consultation and return the policy and Regs to the OPPS agenda in February 2018. / Carried. For: Leonard, Paynter, Waters Abstain: McNally [ until consultation is finished in February]
8. Facilities Planning: None
9. Public Disclosure of Camera Items: No items moved for disclosure
10. New Business:
A. Trustee Questions [for the Superintendent]:
- McNally: GVTA is interested in returning to contractual requirements for Step 3 grievances. Requires a Trustee present. Currently SD61 Labour Relations, SD61 Human Resources, and Superintendent. Thoughts?
- Superintendent: One current SD61 participant will have to leave. Will be discussed with Board soon.Have been working within parameters of a LOU.
GVTA Collective AGreement: 4.a If both parties agree and the language of the previous Local Agreement stipulates:i. the number of representatives of each party at Step Three shall be three; and/or ii. at least one of the employer representatives shall be a trustee
B.Ad Hoc Committees / Partnership:
i.Watters: That the board direct the Superintendent to ensure that effective January 2018 Ad Hoc Committees are listed on the SD61 website along with Committee Chairs, contact info, future meeting dates, minutes, TORs, and that the meeting times are on the District Calendar. / Carried as amended below. For: McNally, Paynter, Watters Against: Leonard
- McNally: Amendment: Add “future meeting dates of Ad Hoc Committees with open membership (Middle School and One Learning Community Comittee) “. / Carried. For: McNally, Paynter, Watters Against: Leonard
- Watters: Amendment: Change “minutes” to “reports to Standing Committees”. / Carried. Unanimous.
- Watters: Amendment: Strike last phrase. / Carried. For: McNally, Paynter, Watters Against: Leonard
ii. That the Board dissolve Policy 1325 Partnership and Attachment Ad Hoc Committee. / Carried. Unanimous.
C. Watters: That the Board establish an Advocacy Ad Hoc Committee to develop effective advocacy plans in partnership with or stakeholders./ Carried. Unanimous. [TOR provided by Watters for discussion purposes; will come back after revision.]
11. Notices of Motion: None
12. General Announcements: None
13. Adjournment: 9:30 pm