P2: Meeting record
Lined Paper is my personal record of and commentary on SD61 Board and Standing Committee meetings. ( Official, approved minutes are on the SD61 website, one month after the meeting. ) Motions may be shortened but retain essential info.
SD61 Greater Victoria School District includes students in Esquimalt, Oak Bay, Victoria, View Royal, parts of Saanich and the Highlands, and the Traditional Territories of the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations.
Sticky post: Motions and Trustee Voting Records January 2012 – June 2018. Motions may be shortened but retain essential information. Separate post lists my motions.
New Board sworn in November 5. Thank you to civic electors in 6 Municipalities and 2 First Nations for re-electing me. New Board: Duncan (2018), Leonard (1996), Ferris (1999), Hentze (2018), McNally (2011), Painter (2018), Paynter (2014), Watters (2014), Whiteaker (2014)
Facebook: Diane McNally SD61 Greater Victoria School Trustee Twitter: @McNallySD61BC Instagram: diane.mcn
Enrichment homework, only if you want to do it: check out the Carver model of corporate governance. Some criticisms:
- Its tendency to create excessively powerful CEOs
- Its overly rigid focus on the CEO being the board’s only employee
- The limitations it imposes on a board’s ability to offset management’s natural
tendencies towards overoptimism, overconfidence, confirmation bias, and
- Its lack of transparency with respect to critical decisions, many of which are
made by the CEO out of view of the board (and, in the case of school districts,
out of view of the public as well)
- The danger that the board and staff feel disconnected from each other. With
the separation of roles, board members lose their understanding of programs
because of a lack of program details
- Great demands are made on management, who require the necessary skills to
implement the ends set by the board. Weaknesses and inadequacies on either
side can not be compensated for through mutual-help and team-like activities
between staff and board, since it is thought that this would result in a confusion of roles
Chart presentation of 3 possible models including Carver, here. A BCSTA Academy needs to provide a full day workshop on governance models, not just cockpit management and how to comply with the existing model . I’ve asked for it. We’ll see. Maybe you should ask , too.
Fun fact: BC public school Superintendents reportedly owe a duty of loyalty to both the Ministry of Education and their Board. How does that work in practice? It’s “complex”, I hear. Here’s another BCSTA workshop in itself. Will we ever? I wonder.
My questions at E.1 c Trustee Questions this meeting:
1. Q: Is streaming video of Board meetings still under consideration? A: (Director of IT) Yes, but will be last thing implemented as the Board gets used to new meeting recording software and hardware which will be implemented asap.
2. Q: Could the Board have a reporting chart of administrative positions including Superintendent, Associates, Superintendents of anything and Directors of anything? (Got one of most senior admin by roles but that’s about 6 people.) A: (Superintendent): I’ll try.
Motions starting October 2018 needing a report:
1.Oct 1 Ed Policy: Whiteaker: Board direct Superintendent to survey schools each November regarding space pressures and use of resource, sensory and breakout rooms.[What will report look like>? Public? In camera?] / Carried.Unanimous.
2. McNally: (McNally, from BC ED Access) Board direct Superintendent to provide monthly report to trustees on students with special needs that specifies the number of incidents as per each point: 1. asked to stay home 2.sent home 3. dropped off late / picked up late 4. excluded from field trips 5. sent out of regular classroom to resource room / sensory / isolation room , or other space, if no breakout room is available. / Carried, as amended, unanimous: Whiteaker: make it an in camera report. Carried. So, you’ll never know unless someone (like me) makes a motion to report out and that motion carries with a majority.
3.No report (Public? In camera? This November?) was specified in Whiteaker’s motion but I’d expect: Board direct Superintendent to survey schools each November regarding space pressures and use of resource, sensory and breakout rooms./ Carried.Unanimous.