I’m pleased to have been elected Vice Chair of this new Board! The Chair said it all in her acceptance speech, and I will support all she said. I add that I am honoured that I have your confidence in me for this position of service to the Board, to the District and our stakeholders and partners, and service to public education, a public good that I highly value.
5. Swearing In Ceremony: The Honourable Ms. Linda Mrozinski swears in Trustees one by one.
- The Honourable Ms Lisa Mrozinski: Is it “White Acre” or “Whitta Ker”?
- Whiteaker: Either one, doesn’t matter, all the same.
- Hon. Ms Mrozinski: It does mater for the oath.I have to get it right.
- Whiteaker: Doesn’t matter.
- McNally, Watters, others in chorus: It’s “Whitta Ker”!
6. Election of Chair: secret ballot but when no clear winner, vote numbers read out:
- Nominated and accepted nomination: Ferris 4, McNally 2, Watters 3. McNally withdraws. Ferris & Watters = Chair Watters.
7. Election of Vice Chair:
- Nominated and all accepted: Ferris 2, McNally 3, Paynter 2, Whiteaker 2. Paynter withdraws. Ferris 2 McNally 4, Whiteaker 3. Ferris withdraws. McNally & Whiteaker = McNally vice Chair.
8. Election of BCPSEA representative: Nominated: Whiteaker declined), Paynter, Painter. Paynter elected.
9. Election of BCSTA representative: Nominated: Whiteaker (declined), Duncan, Painter. Duncan elected.
10. Standing Committee membership approved by motion and vote (new process):
- Education Policy and Directions: Duncan, Ferris, McNally, Painter; Chair ex officio, vote but not counted for quorum. Chair: Nominated: Duncan, Painter. Elected by secret ballot (new process): Duncan.
- Operations Policy and Planning: Hentze, Leonard, Paynter, Whiteaker; Chair ex officio, vote but not counted for quorum. Chair: Nominated: Whiteaker (declined), Paynter, Leonard. Elected by secret ballot: Paynter.